Become a Counselor in Training this Summer!
We will begin recruiting Counselors in Training in January, 2014.
Counselors in Training, or "CIT"s assist our professional staff members in delivering our program and ensuring a positive and rewarding experience for our campers. If you are a high schooler (rising 9 to 12 grade) with an interest in working with youth and working in an outdoor education setting this opportunity is for you! A great way to spend part of your summer outside making a difference in the lives of young people!
Our CIT's assist with camps for our Kindergarten/First Grade as well as our Second Grade/Third Grade camps. Activities include wildlife hikes, survival shelter building, outdoor games, creek walks, animal handling and more! We also welcome ideas for activities from our CIT's!
To be a Counselor in Training, applicants must:
- Complete the Counselor in Training application. Please note, this is to be completed by the applicant, not a parent!;
- Submit a letter of reference from a teacher, youth leader, or other adult not related to the applicant that details why the candidate is a good fit for our program;
- Meet with Arboretum staff for a short interview;
- Attend our CIT training session; and
- Be available to volunteer a minimum of one full week, Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Applicants to the program are not automatically accepted. Acceptance is contingent upon the candidate's availability, performance of the above requirements and the discretion of the Discovery Camp Director. Space is limited, applicants are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates whose applications have been received, have interviewed, and have been accepted into the program will be scheduled beginning April 1. Candidates whose applications are received and processed after this date will be scheduled as they are accepted into the program.
For more information about our Counselor in Training program, contact Jonathan Marchal, Youth Education Manager, at (828) 665-2492.