The Nature Discovery Room
The Nature Discovery Room is located on the ground level of the Education Center, and is open to the public without reservation.
Exhibits included in this self-led space include:
- "Birds of Western North Carolina", featuring a wildlife feeding station, indoor viewing platform, images of commonly encountered feeder birds, and a collection of bird nests and egg replicas;
- "Amphibians and Reptiles of Western North Carolina", featuring live specimens commonly seen at The Arboretum and surrounding areas housed in realistic habitats;
- "Trees of Western North Carolina", featuring tree cross-cuts, a leaf collection, and identification sheets; and
- "Water Qualtiy of Bent Creek", which features live fish found in our local streams along with water quality data collected by visiting students.
- "Insects of Western North Carolina", featuring a collection of over 50 locally collected butterflies.