The City Nature Challenge is an international effort for people of all ages, or “Community Scientists” to document biodiversity around the world. We need your help to share photos of wild plants and animals near you to show how wild, wonderful and biodiverse Western North Carolina is!
To participate in the City Nature Challenge simply download the free iNaturalist mobile app and upload photos and sound recordings of wild plants and animals from April 28 to May 3. Anyone uploading 20 observations will be eligible to receive a free NC BioBlitz patch.
How to Participate
If you are an individual or small group, follow these steps. Working in a school setting? Scroll down to the bottom of the page!
- Find a place to make observations of wild species! Visit a favorite local park, a natural area, or your own backyard between April 28 and May 1.
- Take photos of as many species as you can find with the iNaturalist smartphone app or use a camera. You do not need to know how to identify the things you see – the app or website will help you!
- Submit your observations through the Naturalist website or app, available for Android and Apple! All observations must be uploaded to iNaturalist by May 8 to count toward the NC Bioblitz and City Nature Challenge.
New to iNaturalist? Check out our Quick Guides to iNaturalist for Android and Apple phones! They will walk you through how to use the smartphone apps and website to submit your observations to iNaturalist. We also have training videos available on the North Carolina City Nature Challenge website!
Earn the NC Bioblitz Badge!
You can earn a custom embroidered badge by participating in the NC Bioblitz! Follow these steps to claim yours:
- Make observations! You have two options:
- Make 20 observations of any wild species in North Carolina between April 28 and May 1 and upload them to iNaturalist by May 7.
- Make 10 observations and make 15 identifications. Observations must be made between April 28 and May 1, but all observations and identifications may be done in iNaturalist any time between April 28 and May 7.
- Report your participation and claim your badge!