The North Carolina Arboretum’s annual Carolina Bonsai Expo will be held on Saturday, October 13, and Sunday, October 14, 2018, in the Arboretum’s Baker Exhibit Center and Education Center buildings.
This nationally known event features juried displays by bonsai enthusiasts hailing from a seven-state region, including N.C., S.C., G.a., Ala., Tenn., Va. and Pa. Visitors will have the opportunity to participate in bonsai workshops, watch free demonstrations and purchase bonsai plants and supplies. In addition, the Asheville Chapter of Ikebana International will host a special ikebana exhibition throughout the weekend, as well as an ikebana flower arranging demonstration on Saturday, October 13. In its 23rd year, the Carolina Bonsai Expo is the premier annual bonsai event of the Southeast and the most popular plant show hosted by the Arboretum.
The Arboretum’s Carolina Bonsai Expo offers programs for both the bonsai community and general public.
This year’s guest artist features leading bonsai expert and instructor Bjorn Bjorholm. Based in Nashville, Tennessee, Bjorholm is one of the top up-and-coming bonsai professionals in the world. He began bonsai at the young age of 13 and attended his first Carolina Bonsai Expo at the Arboretum at age 15. He spent six years as an apprentice under Master Keiichi Fujikawa at Kouka-en bonsai nursery in Osaka, Japan, before receiving certification as a bonsai professional by the Nippon Bonsai Association. After his tenure as an apprentice at Kouka-en, he spent three years as an artist-in-residence at the same location, making him the first and only foreign-born working bonsai professional in Japan. During his time in Japan, Bjorn’s works were featured in the Kokufu-ten, Sakufu-ten and Taikan-ten exhibitions, among many others. He is now the owner of Eisei-en Bonsai Garden in Nashville.
Saturday, October 13
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Bonsai Marketplace, Baker Exhibit Center
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Bonsai Exhibition, Education Center
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Ikebana Display presented by Asheville Chapter of Ikebana International, Education Center
- 11 a.m. – 12 noon – Free Ikebana Flower Arranging Demonstration, Education Center
- 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Main Event: “A New Styling for an Old Pine.” – SOLD OUT! Call 828-665-2492 to be added to waiting list
Sunday, October 14
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Bonsai Marketplace, Baker Exhibit Center
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Bonsai Exhibition, Education Center
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Ikebana Display presented by Asheville Chapter of Ikebana International, Education Center
- 11 a.m. – 12 noon – “Cool Hand Bonsai” demonstration with Ken Duncan Jean Geanangel and Arthur Joura, Education Center
- 1 – 2 p.m. – “Evaluating Bonsai Plant Material” lecture by Owen Reich, Education Center
- 2:30 p.m. – Bonsai Auction, Baker Exhibit Center