ecoEXPLORE (Experiences Promoting Learning Outdoors for Research and Education)
ecoEXPLORE is an incentive-driven science enrichment program that engages Kindergarden through eighth-grade students in guided and self-directed citizen science activities. Each season, one particular area of field ecology (botany, herpetology, entomology and ornithology) is highlighted with public programming, self-guided activities, a public event and special invitation-only programs. Students engage as active participants of the scientific method as they record observations of organisms found in their neighborhoods, libraries and at the Arboretum.
ecoEXPLORE is funded by a Student Science Enrichment Program grant from the Burroughs Wellcome Foundation.
Program partners include:
- Buncombe County Public Library System
- The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
- Buncombe County Schools
- UNC Greensboro’s HERP Project
- Audubon Society of North Carolina
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Buncombe County
- AmeriCorps Project Conserve
- Monarch Rescue
- Wild Birds Unlimited Asheville/Hendersonville
- Kudzu Brands
For more information on ecoEXPLORE, please contact Jonathan Marchal, youth education manager, at email@example.com or 828-665-2492.