Frequently Asked Questions
Are my membership dues tax deductible?
Yes. Your Arboretum Society membership is tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Under Internal Revenue Service guidelines, the estimated value of membership benefits is not substantial; therefore, the full amount of your payment qualifies as a deductible contribution.
What is The North Carolina Arboretum Society?
The North Carolina Arboretum Society is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that supports the Arboretum’s mission to cultivate connections between people and plants. The Arboretum raises funds through membership programs, Community Partnerships, special donations, memorials and tributes, endowment funds and more. Individual, corporate, and foundation gifts all play a vital role in sustaining and advancing the Arboretum’s mission and goals.
Do members receive discounts?
Yes, in addition to free daytime parking all year long, members receive a 10% discount on all plants and merchandise in The Connections Gallery gift shop in the Baker Exhibit Center (artist consignment items are not included). Members also receive a 10% discount at the Bent Creek Bistro. Just present a valid membership card when you make your purchase. Discounts are valid for member purchase only; this benefit is not extended to guests of the member. Please see the Levels & Benefits page for a complete listing of member benefits.
Discounts on Youth Education Programs apply to Student Memberships (when the member is the participant) and Household Memberships (when the participants are listed on the membership.)
Is my membership redeemable at other botanical gardens and arboreta?
Generally, yes. The North Carolina Arboretum is a member of the American Horticultural Society’s Reciprocal Admissions Program, which includes nearly 300 gardens and arboreta across the U.S. and Canada. Please visit their website for the most up-to-date listings. Also, please note that reciprocal privileges are for the member(s) named on the card only; at most gardens, you will be required to show your Arboretum membership card and a photo ID.
Is my membership redeemable at any other North Carolina attractions?
Yes. Arboretum members have reciprocal privileges at the N.C. Zoo, located in Asheboro, N.C. Please note: reciprocal privileges are for the member(s) named on the card only, and you may be required to show photo ID, along with your Arboretum membership card. Please note: The Western North Carolina (WNC) Nature Center does not have a reciprocal privilege with the Arboretum.
How do I join if I don’t want to purchase a membership online?
You may purchase your membership:
- In person at the Baker Exhibit Center or the Education Center, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. daily
- By calling Member Services at 828-665-2492, ext. 321 or 322.
- By mail by filling out a membership form and check payable to The North Carolina Arboretum Society to:
Member Services, The North Carolina Arboretum Society, 100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way, Asheville, N.C. 28806
I have signed up to be a member. What happens next?
- You will receive a receipt e-mail confirmation of your membership purchase if you joined or renewed online.
- You may use your receipt as proof of membership to receive your temporary card(s) on your next visit, and you may use your temporary card(s) until your permanent membership card(s) arrive by mail, usually within 10-14 days.
- Your subscription to the Growing in Mind adult education catalog will begin with the next issue. Growing in Mind is published twice per year: in August and January.
- You will begin receiving the Arboretum’s monthly e-news, issued during the first week of each month. The e-news contains timely information about events, classes, exhibits and other happenings at the Arboretum.
- Two months prior to the expiration of your membership, you will receive a notice from the Arboretum telling you it’s time to renew.
- When you renew, we will update your membership for 12 months beyond your current expiration date.
- From time to time you may receive special mailings from us regarding other opportunities to support the Arboretum and participate in Arboretum events.
When can I use my membership?
Your membership provides free daytime parking to the Arboretum. Please check the Arboretum’s website for information on current operating hours, as they change seasonally and for some special events and weather emergencies.
When will I receive my membership card(s)?
Your membership card should arrive 10-14 days from the time of your purchase. Please note that we are no longer issuing cards for children or grandchildren; please call the membership office for exceptions (e.g., a special needs child that visits with a caregiver, 16-18-year-olds with a driver’s license).
Can I visit before I receive my membership card?
Yes! Just bring your photo ID, receipt, or confirmation email if you purchased your membership online, and the Arboretum will issue you a temporary membership card. If you have already received a temporary membership card, you can continue to use that card until you receive your permanent card in the mail. You will receive your permanent card within 10-14 days.
Can I lend my membership card to a friend or family member?
No. Memberships are non-transferable and are valid only for the person whose name appears on the card. Supporting photo ID may be required for entrance.
Can I transfer my membership to someone else?
No. Memberships are non-transferable and are valid only for the person(s) whose name(s) appear on the card(s).
Can I still visit if I have misplaced my membership card?
Yes! Just stop by the Gatehouse with your photo ID so that your membership can be verified. If you’ve misplaced your card permanently, you can order a new card from Member Services. Once replaced, the misplaced membership card will be deactivated.
How do I make a correction to or update my membership information?
You may contact Membership Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 828-665-2492 ext. 321 or 322, or inside the Baker Exhibit Center.
Can I renew my membership online?
Yes! The Arboretum encourages online renewals as it saves the Arboretum time, money, paper, and stamps, and it also means faster processing.
Do you have any other questions, or do you want to upgrade your membership?
Please contact Member Services at email@example.com or by phone at 828-665-2492 (Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.).
Thank you for your interest in membership with The North Carolina Arboretum Society.